Wolftrap Farm stands on a portion of Col. Henry Willis’ 1728 patent for 10,000 acres between Gordonsville and Madison Run. Willis divided and sold his patent the same year, with 3,333 acres, including the present Wolftrap Farm, being acquired by Thomas Beale of Richmond County. In 1788, John Whitaker Willis and his wife, Ann Beale Willis, deeded an 800-acre section to Matthew Maury. He sold it to John Lee in 1791, and a year later Lee conveyed the tract to James Madison, Jr., the future President, who christened it Black Meadow. In 1830, the land was purchased by Coleby Cowherd of Clifton (now Ridgefield), and following his death in 1847, it passed to his daughter and son-in-law, Ann Cowherd and John Scott of Edgefield. In 1856, the Scotts deeded their son, John Wickliffe Scott, 850 acres, “the Blackmeadow tract,” following the latter’s marriage to Sallie Hackley.
John Sindlinger bought the house and 359 acres from the widowed Sallie Hackley Scott in 1871; it remained in the Sindlinger family until 1923. The property passed through a number of subsequent owners before it was acquired by the [Von Wulfen family] in 1978. Called Mountain View by the Scotts, it was known as The Hill in the mid-20th century. The [Von Wulfen family] renamed the property Wolftrap Farm.
The nucleus of the present dwelling probably dates from ca. 1848. Originally a simple Greek Revival cottage, the house was enlarged ca. 1900, when a rear wing was added. It has undergone several renovations in the 20th century.
The original Black Meadow house no longer stands. A frame dwelling possibly dating from the 18th century, it was located northwest of the present residence. In the late 19th century it was the home of State Law Librarian and Orange County historian W. W. Scott. Antebellum Orange, by Ann L. Miller ©1988
The Cuthrell family of Virginia Beach purchased the farm in 2003. After renovating the Manor House, Pond House and the barns, the farm was opened for guests in 2004. In 2013, the Servants' Cottage was renovated into a guest house. In 2014, the Pavilion was created out of what was an equipment and hay barn. The Milker's Cottage was renovated and set up as an additional guest house in 2015.
For a copy of our Virginia Landmarks registration click here.